Chura Bhunja – A tasty and easy snack from Bihar and West Bengal
Served best hot with chai. Can also stay fresh for about a week in a sealed container. No refrigeration necessary.
Cook time – 15 min
Gluten free, vegan, kid-friendly
- 3 cups poha (flattened rice)
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup peanuts
- 2-3 whole red chilies
- 1 tbsp seed of your choice for “phoran” (either cumin or mustard seed works well)
- 3 tbsp oil for frying (I like mustard oil)
- Heat oil in a kadhai
- Fry seeds until they sputter (about 30 seconds)
- Add onions and fry until slightly translucent (about 2 minutes)
- Add red chilies and fry (about 1 min)
- Add flattened rice and roast until slightly tanned stirring continuously (about 5-10 min)
- Add salt to taste and SERVE!